In Canada, sexual assault cases are investigated by police officers who are specifically trained in the area of sexual assault investigations.
The training that sexual assault investigators receive is focused on creating a consistent and thorough investigation into sexual assault cases, while respecting the needs of victims and witnesses. The training is designed to enhance investigations of sexual assault by promoting best practices, including a trauma-informed, survivor centric approach. A trained sexual assault investigator will be assigned to your case.
- Cases where the alleged offender is “known to the victim” will be investigated by the division where the sexual assault took place, and;
- Cases that are deemed a “high risk to the community” and where the alleged offender is “not known” to the victim will be investigated by Sex Crimes.
Assignment of sexual assault cases are generally done on a risk-based assessment. This means:
- Fully investigate the incident
- Ensure you have access to medical care
- Explain the process for the collection of all evidence including the Sexual Assault Evidence Kit
- Consult with Victim Services
- Assess and discuss with you where and when an in-depth interview will take place
- Ask if you prefer to be interviewed by a man or a woman and make all reasonable efforts to respect your choice
- Keep you informed of the progress of the investigation in a timely manner
- Lay charges when appropriate
- Advise you that you have the right to complete a Victim Impact Statement
- Advise you that someone from the Victim Witness Assistance Program will be contacting you to assist with preparation filling out appropriate forms, court preparation and to keep you informed of the court progress of the accused
The trained sexual assault investigator assigned to your case will:
Our website provides general information that is intended, but not guaranteed, to be correct and up-to-date. The information is not presented as a source of legal advice. You should not rely, for legal advice, on statements or representations made within the website or by any externally referenced Internet sites. If you need legal advice upon which you intend to rely in the course of your legal affairs, consult a competent, independent attorney. Vesta Social Innovation Technologies does not assume any responsibility for actions or non-actions taken by people who have visited this site, and no one shall be entitled to a claim for detrimental reliance on any information provided or expressed.